[Image: Fragment of the Gough Map]
[Image: Fragment of the Gough Map]

Linguistic Geographies: The Gough Map of Great Britain

You are here:

  • Home

Full record: Sheppey

County Kent
Transcript Sheph[e]y
Icon description island with a large castle
Icons
  • castle
  • island
Description
Appearances
Etymology OE scēap, 'sheep' + īeg, 'island'
Translation
Earlier editors Shephay (Gough). Sheppey castle was entirely rebuilt in the reign of Edward III and in 1366 its name was changed t. Queenborough in honour of his queen Philippa (Parsons). See further discussion in Samllwood (2010) and Lawson (2010). According t. Lawson ((p). 393) in 1361 Edward III purchased land on the Isle of Sheppey (at a place called Bynnee) on which a castle was t. be built. Construction began in 1361 and was completed c. 1367. In a charter of 1368 Bynnee was formally replaced by the Royal borough of Queenborough which was newly laid out t. accompany the castle named after Edward's wife. Records of work associated with the construction of the new town appear in the castle accounts from 1366 onwards. The earliest attestation of Queenborough given by Wallenberg (1934) is Quenesburgh 1367 AD 4, followed by 1368, 1371, 1372, 1373 Cl, 1368, 1369, 1370 Pat.
Early Maps shepe (Angliae Figura)
Overwritten yes
Attested spelling Scape 1086 DB