[Image: Fragment of the Gough Map]
[Image: Fragment of the Gough Map]

The Gough Map of Great Britain

You are here:

  • Home

Full record: Aberystwyth

County Cardiganshire


Icon description

single building

  • building


  • faded
Etymology W aber, 'estuary' + Ystwyth, river-name
Earlier editors Aberauon/Aberavon (OS 1035); Aberestwyth (Parsons)
Early Maps

Lampad vale (Angliae Figura); lampad(er) vawe (Totius Britanniae; castle, walls with one gate)



Attested spelling Aberescud c. 1194, Aber Ystwyth 1166 (c. 1400), aber Ystwyth 1206 (c. 1400), Aberestuuth 1232-3, aber ystwyth c. 1400. The original Norman castle was built in 1110 at the old estuary of the river Ystwyth, near Rhydfelin, about a mile-and-a-half south of the modern town. In 1211 a new castle was built, possibly at Plas Crug near the estuary of the river Rheidol (probably on the site of an earleir castle (Aber Redival 1164 (late 13th century), Aber Reidawl 1164 (c. 1400)) and the older name was transferred t. it and ultimately t. the present castle (constructed in 1277) and its adjoining borough. As a (p).n. Aberystwyth, however, did not become the fixed name until the late 14th century, alternating with Llanbadern Fawr (Owen and Morgan, 2007). In the earlier examples of the name 'Aberystwyth' refers t. the castle. The earlier ecclesiastical settlement was at Llanbadarn, the site of the church of St Padarn (Gelling, Nicolaisen and Richards, 1970). See also Smallwood (2010).